- letthemusicplay released their new single ‘All I Can Give You’ in April. Download and stream it here.
- ‘I Understand’ is the second single to be taken from Sophie Koh’s highly anticipated new album ‘Oh My Garden’ (-out July 6).
- ‘Risk for You’ is the latest slice of electronic pop to be released from Wolfette, a distant relative of Virginia Woolf, and can be heard here. The single is out on May 28.
- Cosmo Jarvis will release his third album ‘Think Big’ on July 9. The first single out ‘Love This’ will be available on May 14 along with a music video. In the meantime; download one of tracks ‘Sunshine’ for free via CosmoJarvis.com.
- In less than a year Sky’High has gone from underground street hype to one of the most talked about new artists in local hip hop. Her debut album ‘Forever Sky’High’ will be out on May 25.
- Exlovers‘ debut album ‘Moth’ will be released on June 18. ’This Love Will Lead You On’ is the first single taken from the album and is available now as a digital download/stream.
- Paloma Faith will release her long awaited second album ‘Fall To Grace’ on May 28. Pre-order it here.
- Marina and the Diamonds‘ second album ‘Electra Heart‘ came out on April 30. It’s amazing!..
- Crystal Bats released their debut EP ‘Stranger’ in April.
- Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros will release their second album ‘Here’ on May 28. Pre-listen here.
- The Bombay Royale released their debut album ‘You Me Bullets Love’ in April. Get a free download of title track ‘You Me Bullets Love’ here.
- Hunting Grounds will release their long-awaited debut album in July. The first single will be out soon. Check out more details here.
- ’Silver Tongue’ is taken from Zulu Winter‘s debut full-length “Language” available on June 19 via Arts & Crafts.
- Due for release on June 11th via Ordered Records, is ‘Everything’, the second single to be taken from Taunton’s The Darlingtons’ upcoming debut album, ‘Decades Dance’.
- Jake Mattison is set to release his debut single ‘Sorrow’ through Laissez Faire Club on 4th June 2012.
- Towns follow their debut single, ‘Gone Are The Days’ with a second for Cartoon Records on 28th May. ‘Just Everything’ will be available as a digital download and, for those very quick off the mark, as a cassette single limited to just 50 copies on Howling Owl Records.
- Melbourne’s Post-Rock band Sans Gras have recently released the single ‘Sun Come Up’ which is the first single from the upcoming EP ‘Shed Your Woes’.
- To celebrate their upcoming third album and kick off a glorious European tour, complete with an appearance at The Great Escape Festival, Canada’s frenetic foursome, Hot Panda are offering a brand new track, called “Future Markets”. The album, titled ‘Go Outside’ comes out on July 16th on Mint Records.
- Sydney’s Tin Sparrow have released their sophomore EP ‘Fair & Verdant Woods’.
- Mia Dyson‘s new full-length ‘The Moment’ is slated for release August 2012. Now she offers her next single ‘Tell Me’ as a free download. Get it here.
- 11th June marks the return of Caan, with the larger-than-life modern electronic pop of ‘Into The Night’.
- ’Dawn’, the debut EP of Melbourne singer Eliza Hull, heralds the emergence of a passionate creation. Out May 18.
- Hobart’s own, The Scientists of Modern Music release ‘A Personal Universe’, the long anticipated follow up to their incendiary debut, ‘Electronic Sunset’, this May 18 through Rubber Records / Shock Records.
”‘Electra Heart’ is not so much a creative leap forward, more an Olympian pole-vault over the bar of talented-newcomer into the global amphitheater of a cultivated Classic. Two years on from her top 5 debut The Family Jewels, the self-styled avant-garde D.I.Y artist has detonated her own experimental past and landed feet first in the future with Electra Heart, a stunningly ambitious, seamless, cohesive and confident sonic pulsar spinning between electro-pop euphoria and come-down melancholia.”
The darlings of the UK’s indiepop scene, Allo Darlin’, follow up their critically acclaimed and hugely adored self-titled debut with their new album Europe. The London-based four-piece – led by Australian songbird Elizabeth Morris, with guitarist Paul Rains, Bill Botting on the bass and Michael Collins on drums – have created another masterpiece full of perfect, sophisticated pop gems.
”Smart-pop singer-songwriter Kate Miller-Hiedke proves with her third album that she can not only handle a catchy melodic hook, but delve into more unusual sonic territory as well. Nightflight has a far more richly layered sound than her previous albums, drawing influence from artists such as Bat For Lashes and Kate Bush. It’s still built on catchy pop hooks and melodies and will undoubtedly find itself at home on a few commercial radio stations, but the songs on this album also reveal a darker side to her songwriting”.
’Master of My Make-Believe’ is the second studio album from American singer/rapper Santigold. Co-produced by Dave Sitek (TV on the Radio), as well as featuring other guest producers (Q-Tip, Switch, Bureka Som Sistema), this record has been described by Santi herself as being “sonically eclectic” as lead single “GO!,” featuring Karen O, ably demonstrates.
The Riot’s Gone
Album number three for Melbourne’s Children Collide is ‘Monument’.
The record takes their signature bass crunch, post-punk sound and gives it a massive sonic kick into new, yet familiar, territory.
Sword To A Gunfight
The Basics ft. Gotye – ‘Like A Brother’ (No Device Remix)
ARTIST TO WATCH
Who: Guards Of May
Good to know: Guards Of May is an alternative rock band from Brisbane, Australia.
Following over a year of writing, recording and preparation, Brisbane alternative rock band Guards Of May make their launch on the Australian music scene.
Collaborating with the likes of Matt Bartlem & Tyse Lee (Loose Stones Studios), Forrester Savell (Karnivool, Dead Letter Circus) and Sterling Sound’s Senior Engineer, George Marino (Incubus, Arctic Monkeys), Guards of May made Loose Stones Studios their home in early 2011 to record their debut 5 track self-titled EP due for release mid 2012.
Genre: Alternative prog rock.
For fans of: Foo Fighters, System of a Dawn.
New/upcoming release(s): Debut EP was released on May 1st.
MUSIC VIDEO MONDAY
Week #29: Dusken Lights, The Darcys, Matthew P, Mystery Jets, King Charles, The Neighbourhood, Laleh, Mikhael Paskalev, Jacky Jean, Walk Off The Earth.
Week #30: Paloma Faith, Connie Lim, The Vaudeville Smash feat Kate Vigo, The Cairos, Half Moon Run, The Bamboos feat. Tim Rogers, Xavier Rudd, Carly Rae Jepsen, Emily and The Woods, Monument Valley, Paper Aeroplanes.
Week #31: Keane, GIVERS, The Shins, Lonsdale Boys Club, Admiral Fallow, Great Lake Swimmers, Family of the Year, Caro Emerald, Halfway To New York, BOY, Lizzie and the Yes Men.
Week #32: Gin Wigmore, Art Of Sleeping, Stella Angelico And The Switch, Clairy Browne & the Bangin’ Rackettes, Molotov Jukebox, Major Look, DJ Fresh ft. Dizzee Rascal, The Heartbreaks, TOY, Twin Atlantic, Bad Veins, Bahamas, Devin, Bottled In England.
The Unearthed link
Part 1; – Music From a Bedroom
5 Cent Theatre – ’Pecheski’ (UK)
The Vaudeville Smash feat. Kate Vigo – ‘I Want You’ (AUS)
Lonehill Estate – ’Daans!’ (SA)
Popcult – ‘Life In The Wind’ (USA)
Crystal Bats – ‘Tonight’ (UK)
Aaron King – ‘You Don’t Know What It Is’ (UK)
Dean Fields – ‘Forever Never Knowing’ (USA)
The Foxes – ‘Run’ (UK)
The Home Guard – ‘Other People’ (UK)
Christa Vi – ‘Your Heart’ (UK/AUS)
Autoheart – ‘Control’ (UK)
The Traps – ‘The Honey Drip’ (UK)
The Day Life – ‘Pick Me Up’ (USA)
Part 2; – Aussie Unearthed
My Own Pet Radio – ‘All Colours’ (AUS)
Courts & Kings – ‘Across The Hill’ (AUS)
Boy On A String – ‘Woman?!’ (AUS)
Little Hefty – ‘Life’s a Wonder’ (AUS)
Le Fin – ‘Light The Way’ (AUS)
Cub Scouts – ‘Do You Hear?’ (AUS)
Jeremy Neale – ‘Winter Was The Time’ (AUS)
Chris Gillespie – ‘Unnatural Light’ (AUS)
Funilingus – ‘Esmerelda’ (AUS)
Art Of Sleeping – ‘Empty Hands’ (AUS)
Jimmy Hawk and the Endless Party – ’Meet Me At The Party’ (AUS)
Dirt Farmer – ‘Johny Marble’ (AUS)
The Griswolds – ‘Mississippi’ (AUS)
Spender – ‘Magic Man’ (AUS)
The Royal Gala – ‘Don’t Wait Up For Me Tonight’ (AUS)