- Hawaii born/Los Angeles based singer and songwriter Elina is offering her second album ‘Mesmerized’ as a free d/l via NoiseTrade – check it out!
- ..and the same is Katelyn Tarver with her latest EP ‘A Little More Free’. D/l it here.
- Churchill is releasing their new EP on March 9th, and are playing at Bluebird the same day with support from Rachel James and POPCULT.
- Andrew Belle is releasing his new EP ‘The Daylight EP’ on February 28. Pre-order it via iTunes.
- Texas’ Eisley released their latest EP ‘Deep Space’ on February 15. It’s beautiful, check it out here.
WHITE BIRDS spent the first half of 2011 locked up in an old house just outside of Philadelphia crafting a pensive, somber soundtrack to the breakdown of a relationship. Drenched in a bed of reverb and atmospheric haze, WHITE BIRDS’ debut LP ‘WHEN WOMEN PLAYED DRUMS’ is an escapist’s paradise, an immersive experience full of melodically rich and emotionally vivid songs highlighted by staggering harmonies and memorable hooks. Tracks from the album have received positive reviews from yvynyl, Listen Before You Buy, and WXPN’s Blog among others.
- *This* is Willy Moon‘s new song:
- ‘Wild Love’ is the new single from Gossling, taken from the upcoming EP ‘Intentional Living’, due for release on the 20th April.
- Having just signed to EMI Music, Sydney artist Sam Sparro is finally ready to unveil new material with this sepia-toned, retro fantasy for ‘The Shallow End’!
- German/Swizz dreamboats duo BOY performed the lovely ‘Drive Darling’ at Mahogany Sessions for a couple of days ago. See the video for it here. Their debut album ‘Mutual Friends’ is dropping later this Spring.
- ‘Broke Up The Family’ is the new single (out April 4) from the super exciting The Milk. It has just been remixed by Kenny Ken and Hostage vs RackNRuin. Stream them below and see the video for it here. The Milk’s debut album is out this summer.
- Exlovers have covered Chris Isaak’s ‘Wicked Game’:
- Sisterland are a three-piece from Leicester, whose sound combines grunge and shoegaze influences to create driving, fuzzed-out nostalgia. Their EP, the ‘Dirty White’ EP can be heard here.
- Me will release their new single ‘Naked’ on March 5, see the video for it here.
- Black Diamond Bay‘s new track ‘Black Heart’ will be released on March 12.
- ‘Beautiful and Useless’ is Club Smith‘s new single.
- New York-based crooner Devin released his debut EP, ‘You’re Mine’, on November 15th, and has just released the video for the upbeat title track.
- ‘Rocket Ship’ is the new single from San Cisco, taken from debut EP ‘Awkward EP’.
- Montage Populaire‘s debut EP ‘Not All Bombs Explode’ is due out on 19th March. ’Reject Reinstall’ is the first single out.
- ‘Chemicals’ is the new single from Cambridge’s Violet Bones.
Fun. – ‘Some Nights’ (21.02.2012)
’Some Nights’ is the second album from New York’s Fun., one of today’s happiest epic pop bands.
Download the first album ‘Aim and Ignite’ for free (for a limited time) here!
‘We Are Young (feat. Janelle Monáe)’
Formed in New York but comprising no NYC natives (instead: a pair of Australians and an Indonesian), Young Magic are an intriguing proposition before a note of this debut album has been heard. – BBC
Magical, epic, chillwave, experimental, folktronica, hip house and chamber hip hop.
‘Young and Old’ is the second album from husband and wife duo Tennis. The album consists of a brilliant mixture of twee pop and uplifting indie pop.
Stream the full album here.
‘My Better Self’
The Explorers Club - ‘Grand Hotel’ (14.02.2012)
The Explorers Club‘s ambitious hopes for their sophomore album, Grand Hotel, are in stride with the accomplishments of the South Carolina sextet’s 2008 debut album Freedom Wind. Taking many of its cues from cinema, the big screen plays a role in several Grand Hotel songs, among them the instrumental title track. Band founder Jason Brewer describes the album as “like Herb Alpert jamming with one of the psychedelic bands from the Nuggets albums.”
‘Run, Run, Run’
Islands – ‘A Sleep and a Forgetting’ (14.02.2012)
“This album is far more personal than any I’ve made before,” Thorburn explains. “I left New York after the end of a relationship and came to Los Angeles. There was a piano where I was staying and that’s where I wrote these songs. This record deals with loss, with memory and forgetting and with dreaming. I started writing it on Valentine’s Day and its coming out on Valentine’s Day.”
ARTIST TO WATCH
Who: The Chemist, Perth.
Good to know: The Chemist formed when all four members met studying music at university. They released two concept EPs in 2010; ‘Lullabies’ and ‘The Wolves’s Howls Shatter The Old Glass Moon’.
The music described in one sentence: Upbeat/lush electro pop and jazz/blues inspired rock.
For fans of: Arcade Fire, Animal Collective, Hungry Kids of Hungary.
New/upcoming release(s): Debut album is due out 2012.
MUSIC VIDEO MONDAY
Week #19: Reuben Butchart, Fitz and the Tantrums, Velociraptor, Katie Malco, Jodie Marie, Rebecca Ferguson, Clock Opera, Black Hats and Exlovers.
Week #20: Saint Motel, The New Union, Safari, Shwayze & Cisco, Hey Rosetta!, Grace Weber, We Are Augustines, Lilygreen and Maguire, The Morning Birds, The Scholars, PNAU, Miike Snow, The Maccabees.
Week #21: Skybox, Toy Horses, Heart-Sick Groans, Athletes in Paris, Eliza Hull, North Highlands, Dry The River, Clement Marfo and the Frontline.
Week #22: Michael Kiwanuka, Daley, Parachute Youth, Gusgus, Me, Benjamin Francis Leftwich, Joker’s Daughter, Islands, Wiley, Young Magic, The Milk, Elia & The Low Tears.
Your Time.. link
Among Savages – ’Start At The Beginning’ (USA)
BOY – ‘This Is The Beginning’ (GE/CH)
The Chemist – ‘Stars (AUS)
Autoheart – ‘Control’ (UK)
Ball Park Music – ‘Alligator’ (AUS)
Dry The River – ‘No Rest’ (UK)
Eisley – ‘The Valley’ (USA)
Exlovers – ‘Starlight Starlight’ (UK)
James Vincent McMorrow – ‘If I Had a Boat’ (UK)
Oliver Tank – ‘Up All Night’ (AUS)
Madam – The Snake’ (UK)
Chairlift – ‘Bruises’ (USA)
The Janks – ‘Dead Man’ (USA)
Timber Timbre – ‘Black Water’ (USA)
Jessie Baylin – ‘Hurry Hurry’ (USA)
Alfred Hall – ‘So Bright’ (NO)
Lana Del Rey – ‘Born To Die’ (USA)